The Whitney Awards

Two people (that I know of) have nominated Honeymoon Heist for a Whitney Award, and I'm thrilled. While it's still a long way from being shortlisted or - dare I dream it - winning, it's still wonderful to know that people enjoyed it enough to think it deserved some sort of recognition.

The Whitneys are an awards program for novels by LDS authors. Elder Orson F. Whitney, an early apostle in the LDS church, prophesied “We will yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own.” At an annual gala, the talent of LDS authors is recognised and celebrated. I generally agree with the decisions regarding the winners, especially since Stephanie Black wins the mystery/suspense category each year.

The lifetime acheivement award particularly highlights the successful authors who are household names and also happen to be LDS. Orson Scott Card and Shannon Hale have both won in the past, and I wonder whether Stephenie Meyer will be up for this award this year.

If you'd like to nominate a book - any book - go to http://whitneyawards.com/wordpress/. It's not the Booker Prize, but it's a lovely way to let your favourite LDS author know that their efforts are worthwhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Things I wish I'd known about Electric Cars before I bought one

The Importance of Reviews - and Chocolate

I Wore a Skirt to Church on Sunday