Punctuation I Haven't Met Yet

Boy, do I have egg on my face. I have been busily correcting people's punctuation, and writing about how important punctuation is (http://annajonesbuttimore.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/punctuation-matters.html) but I've just got my manuscript back from the editor, and it seems I've got it all wrong. Me!

Specifically, em dashes. I hadn't heard of them until today, but I've just had to Google them to find out what they are and how I should be using them.

Let me point that out again. I am the author of five books, and vast numbers of articles in the legal press, and I had not heard of em dashes before today.

I certainly wasn't taught about them at school, and even now, having read all about them on Wikipedia and blogs and several other grammar sites, my co-author and I are looking in bewilderment at each other wondering whether we really do need to go through the entire manuscript replacing all our hyphens with a symbol which isn't even on our keyboard. (We've gone with "yes", by the way.)

So my question is, what other punctuation is there out there, hiding deep within the world of professional editors and similar experts, which I have not yet been introduced to? Because now might be a good time to get to know it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Things I wish I'd known about Electric Cars before I bought one

I Wore a Skirt to Church on Sunday

The Importance of Reviews - and Chocolate